The Best Walking Trails in Green Bay
Though Green Bay has a thriving downtown, it is the nature that surrounds this beautiful city that makes it special. Though we still have a little bit of winter to get through, it’s almost spring, which means it’s time to start talking about enjoying everything Green Bay has to offer again. Spring time in Green Bay is special; the flowers are blooming, the birds are migrating through the area, and the parks are beginning to green up again. The lush nature and distinctive landscapes along the shores of beautiful Lake Michigan offer visitors to the area a variety of ways in which to enjoy the great outdoors. Through a variety of wildlife preserves, parks, and walking trails, there are thousands of acres of nature to be enjoyed in Green Bay. Book your room at our historic Green Bay Bed and Breakfast this spring, and explore the miles upon miles of walking trails in Green Bay.
Walking Trails to Explore
Green Bay’s nature offers a little bit of something for everyone, whether it’s a simple stroll along the river, meandering through nature preserves, or hiking and biking in rugged areas. Here are a few of our favorite walking trails and places to enjoy on a sunny day in Green Bay:
- The Barkhausen Waterfowl Preserve, which is located on the west short of the Bay of Green Bay, features over 9 miles of scenic trails that offer a glimpse into the marshes and forests that provide habitat for the variety of wildlife, waterfowl, and plant species that reside here.
- Cecil Depeau Bay Shore Park, which is situated atop the distinctly beautiful Niagara Escarpment, offers visitors many miles of scenic hiking trails, and unbeatable views of the Bay of Green Bay.
- Bay Beach Wildlife Sanctuary is another wonderful place to spend some time, walking through the 700 acres of wildlife-filled habitats.
- For a more rugged experience, head to the newer 1,600 Reforestation Camp. Other popular parks in Green Bay include Green Isle Park, Cofrin Memorial Arboretum, and Fonferek’s Glen.
- The Fox River State Recreational Trail is a wonderful place for an extended walk, and is located just minutes from our historic Inn. This trail is great for a variety of activities, include biking, walking/running, and rollerblading. This beautiful 25-mile trail meanders along the Fox River, into the charming communities of Allouez, De Pere, Rockland, Wrightstown and Holland.
- Another popular trail is the Ahnapee State Trail, which is part of the popular “rails to trails” network in Wisconsin. This trail spans about 50 miles between Kewaunee, Casco, Algoma and Sturgeon Bay, and provides a firm surface for hiking, trail bikes and horseback riding.
- Finally, the Mountain-Bay State Recreational Trail, one of the longest rail trails in Wisconsin, travels 83 miles between Rib Mountain and Green Bay. The trail passes through several small communities and beautiful swaths of farmland, forest and wetlands.
No matter which walking trails you choose to explore during your time in Green Bay, you will enjoy the beautiful landscapes of Northern Wisconsin. Get outside with us this spring! Book your room at our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast today.